I used to always use store-bought sauce. Then I read the ingredients and figured…there has to be a healthier alternative (without all the HFCS). That is when I discovered it’s simple to make your own bbq sauce. Now, I realize that someone’s bbq can be a sacred cow, and that everyone has different tastes. So, I wanted to find something unique that you couldn’t find in the store, but after you tasted it you knew you could bottle it and make a fortune. But doing that would ruin it…because homemade is always better than store-bought junk.
Blackberry Maple BBQ Sauce
- 3 TBS of organic extra-virgin olive oil (or coconut oil)
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic (1 tsp of minced = 1 clove)
- 3 cups fresh blackberries (or you could use blueberries)
- 2 cups organic tomato sauce
- 2 TBS organic apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup grade a or b dark amber maple syrup
- 1/4 cup gluten-free soy sauce (or coconut aminos)
- 1 TBS of my primal rub
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- Himalayan sea salt and pepper, to taste
Start with your oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and onion and cook until the onions become translucent, about 8-10 minutes. Next, add your tomato sauce, blackberries, maple syrup, soy sauce (or coconut aminos), primal rub, and red pepper flakes; bring just to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until sauce thickens slightly, about 20 minutes. Finally, stir in the apple cider vinegar; and add salt and pepper to taste. Use with some ribs or maybe some chicken and enjoy every bite! You can easily make a big batch and store or freeze for future use.