The way you prepare food, especially salad dressing, and what you add to it is just as important as the food itself. Most salad dressings are full of extra junk that you don’t need and shouldn’t eat. Without going into the science of it all, there is a reason why your store-bought dressings last forever and are unhealthy…because they are highly processed and full of unhealthy oils.
I probably eat a salad almost every day. That might sound boring to most of you, but trust me…I make a killer salad (two of my favorites are my Greek Salad and Moroccan Carrot & Spinach Salad). But the one thing you will never find in my fridge is…store bought salad dressing!
So we make all of our own salad dressings, and they are AMAZING. My wife has a favorite dressing and I want to share it with you. But be warned, once you start making your own dressing, you will never buy store-bought brands again, and you will save money!
Creamy Garlic Dressing
- ½ cup of Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- ¼ cup of Apple Cider Vinegar (I always use Bragg’s brand)
- 4 tsp of minced garlic (1 garlic clove = 1 tsp of minced garlic)
- 3 TBS of lemon juice (make sure it is 100% lemon, nothing else added)
- 2 TBS of parsley (I use the dried flakes)
- 1 tsp of sea salt (I always use Himalayan, the pink stuff, it has less sodium)
- 1 tsp of Dijon mustard
- 1 TBS of organic wild collected honey (I use Trader Joe’s brand)
Place all the above ingredients in a blender/mixer. I use a Magic Bullet. It is great to have because it comes with a lid for the container it mixes in and all you have to do it close and place it in the fridge. Once in the fridge, your dressing will solidify and separate. This is actually a good thing. Just take it out about 30 min before you eat to let it liquefy.
Shake before use. Don’t get hung up on how much to use. If you are eating clean and healthy, it won’t really matter and you will need the extra fat from the oil. Just don’t go overboard.