The Kitchen Makeover pt.1:
Having the right types of foods in your pantry, fridge and freezer are the first steps to healthy living. It’s pretty hard to eat the right stuff when the wrong stuff is readily available and tempting you in the name of convenience.
So, before you begin your adventure towards healthy eating, it’s imperative to make sure you have the right ingredients to prepare you for your journey. I know that everyone has different tastes. It’s important to make food you actually like to eat. BUT, remember that you first need to make some sacrifices and start thinking differently about nutrition. You will need to train your body, and taste buds, to crave REAL food that is actually beneficial for your body and that help you meet your goals.
This was hard for me at first, but once I made the commitment to do it, it became easy especially when I started seeing results. Below are the essential items you will find in my pantry, fridge and freezer used to help me reach my, and my family’s, health goals. I will share more, and the “why” behind some of my items in future posts too. My hope is that it will get you started in the right direction. We will start with the pantry and then I will the fridge and freezer list in parts 2 and 3 of this series.
The Simple Pantry
- Raw Organic Honey & Pure Maple Syrup (this is used to replace your typical refined sugars)
- Organic Extra-Virgin Coconut Oil (used for high heat cooking; throw out your vegetable oils; they are slowly killing you)
- Organic Extra-Virgin Olive Oil (used for cold cooking, dressings, marinades; make sure it is not cheap or fake; some companies actually add vegetable oils to this to increase their profits)
- Almond Meal, Coconut Flour & Arrowroot Starch (get rid of all refined flours, gluten free & low carb is the best choice; most flours just turn to sugar in your body & can derail your healthy goals)
- Brown Rice & Quinoa (this is there for when I reach my weight/body fat goals, you must earn your carbs; more exercise + less body fat = higher carb intake)
- Himalayan Sea Salt (it has less sodium; it’s pink)
- Organic Spices & Herbs (become a spice expert; many have huge health benefits, I’ll share specifics in a later post, but I always have Cumin, Tumeric, Oregano, Basil, Parsley, Cilantro, Cinnamon, a large variety of Peppers, etc. many of these have great cleansing and detox properties)
- Organic Apple Cider Vinegar (great for dressings and marinades, lots of healthy benefits)
- Balsamic, Red & White Wine Vinegars (great for adding flavor)
- Full-Fat Coconut Milk (great health benefits, used to replace dairy/creams in cooking)
- Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips (indulge without guilt, it’s diary, soy free)
- Canned Wild Alaskan Salmon & Sardines (great for quick salads and protein, make sure it’s not farmed and that it doesn’t have anything added to it)
- Chia Seeds (lots of uses, great for making puddings and drinks, I’ll share my secret drink recipe for this in a later post)
- Nuts (almonds, cashews, walnuts, macadamias, anything but peanuts; try not to eat too many of these if you are trying to lose a lot of weight, but they are great for maintaining weight)
That’s basically it. When you are putting the right kinds of foods in your body, magical things happen. You feel better, you look better and you will actually save money.