The Healthy Fridge

The Kitchen Makeover pt.2: 

What to keep in your fridge can be a controversial topic. I will address some of that in a future post, but in this series I want to focus on what should be in your fridge rather than what you might want to consider to remove from it.

If there is something lacking from the “American Fridge”…it’s fruits and veggies. These nutrient dense foods should make up the majority of what we eat, especially if we are committed to eating clean and healthy. I have a rule and I challenge you to do the same. “If it comes from a plant, eat it. If it is made in a plant, don’t eat it”. Now this is easier to say than do, but if you follow the 85-15 principle it is not that difficult.

The 85-15 principle is simple. 85% of the time, you eat whole clean food. The other 15% can be made up of other stuff and “cheat foods”, but be strategic and smart. That comes to about 3 cheat meals a week, or 1 cheat day.

The Healthy Fridge

  • Berries (blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries; these have the lowest sugar)
  • Fruits (apples, plums, cherries, peaches, grapefruit, kiwi, bananas, pineapple, oranges)
  • Avocados (I always have these available, great in salads and as a snack; huge health benefits)
  • Almond Milk (unsweetened, used to replace milk, lasts forever)
  • Veggies (broccoli, kale, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, asparagus, collard greens, zucchini, red peppers, snap peas, mushrooms, cucumbers, beets, carrots; huge health, healing and detox benefits; veggies should make up 50% of your meals)
  • Organic Baby Spinach & Romaine Lettuce
  • Organic Brown Eggs (and yes, you should eat the whole thing, pastured eggs are best but $$)
  • Organic Full Fat Greek Yogurt (I only eat as a cheat food with fruit/honey)
  • Grass-fed Butter & Cheese (only used sparingly or with cheat foods; I use Kerrygold)
  • Kimchi/Sauerkraut (make sure it is all natural and no added junk; great for probiotics)
  • Homemade Dressings/Organic Condiments (no soy, dairy or processed junk)
  • Braggs Liquid Aminos, Tamari & Fish Sauce (these are all gluten free; I only eat fermented organic soy)
  • Franks Red Hot Sauce & Tabasco Sauce (they use all natural ingredients)
  • Grass-fed Hot Dogs (more expensive but trust me on this one; we use Apple Gate brand)
  • REAL Meats (beware of highly processed junk; usually we grill a bunch of chicken or “steaks” in the beginning of the week, eat it that night then bag extras for quick meals on the go or breakfast)
  • REAL Bacon (that’s right…BACON)
  • Sausage (quick and easy breakfast food for kids, beware of highly processed junk)
  • Sprouted Grain Bread (used as a cheat food; we use Ezekiel Brand; when we do eat bread, which is rare, it is always sprouted)
  • Almond Butter (used to replace peanut butter)
  • Limes & Lemon Juice (for cooking and marinades)
  • Fresh Cilantro & Parsley (for salads, but dried when making marinades and dressings)

I obviously don’t buy ALL these foods each week. But I plan for about 2 weeks and then buy what is needed to make healthy choices and meals for the family.

Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter0Buffer this pagePin on Pinterest0Share on Google+0Share on LinkedIn0Share on StumbleUpon0Email this to someone

,

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

Powered by WordPress. Designed by WooThemes