Many foods have the power to cleanse and detox your body. I won’t go into all the specifics now (I will address them in a future post), but I wanted to share with you one of my weekly go-to-salads.
This salad is full of flavor and easy to make. I often will make it in the morning and take to work, as it needs to “marinate” for a few hours to allow the flavors to “melt” together. Sometimes I will even add some canned-wild sockeye salmon (with skin and bones, both are edible and have great nutritional value) for a kick of proteins, calcium, omega-3’s and healthy fats.
Finding foods you like that cleanse your body is important, especially if you have weight loss goals. They help your organs function properly and keep your digestive system on track. I recommend that you eat some of these foods everyday.
Moroccan Carrot & Spinach Salad
- 3-4 medium carrots, grated (I often buy 3oz bag already shredded)
- 2 TBS of organic extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 TBS of lemon juice (make sure it is 100% lemon, nothing else added)
- 2 TBS of FRESH cilantro (or parsley)
- 2-3 tsp of minced garlic; to taste (1 garlic clove = 1 tsp of minced garlic)
- 1 tsp of cumin
- ½ tsp of paprika
- ½ tsp of sea salt (I always use Himalayan, the pink stuff, it has less sodium)
- ½ tsp of cayenne pepper; to taste
- 3 dashes of cinnamon
- 3 cups of organic baby spinach
Mix all the above ingredients, except the spinach, in a bowl and let it sit in the fridge to marinade (about 2-3 hours). Then add to the spinach and enjoy!