A tasty root medley makes a great side dish for any meal. Loaded with root, or tuber veggies, this is a perfect dish if you are active and looking for some extra carbs in your diet without blowing your weight loss goals. The best part of this root medley, in my opinion, is the use of beets. Beets are full of a unique mix of antioxidants and are a great anti-inflammatory food. Plus, they have anti-cancer, especially colon cancer, and they have powerful detox properties.
Roasted Root Medley
- 1/2 medium sweet potato; cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 medium carrot; cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 medium beet; cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1/2 medium onion; cut into large wedges
- 1 TBS organic extra-virgin olive oil
- sea salt; to taste (I always use Himalayan, the pink stuff, it has less sodium)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toss yams, carrots, beets, onions, oil, and salt in a bowl or dish; mix well. Then arrange the root medley in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake for about 45 minutes, turning once or twice, or until tender. Feel free to add some of your favorite herbs or spices to mix it up. I will often add some Organic No Salt Seasoning Mix before roasting (I get mine from Costco).