Nothing warms the body like a nice bowl of chili. Plus, chili is a great dish for any party during the cold season. The only drawback to serving up chili is that some like it spicy, while others don’t. So I tried to come up with a great chili that could appease both parties. It has just enough kick to keep ya warm, but sweet enough that it is enjoyable for anyone.
The part that makes this chili unique, and healthy, is the lack of beans and added processed junk you get from canned chili mixes. The veggies and spices in this chili are good for your body and helps cleanse the system. I adapted this chili from a recipe my good friend at PaeloHacks.com sent me. Enjoy!
- 1 TBS raw, certified organic, extra-virgin coconut oil
- 2 lbs grass-fed ground beef (I buy mine from Trader Joe’s or Kroger)
- 1/2 organic yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 organic red onion, chopped
- 1/2 organic white onion, chopped
- 2 small shallots, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic (1 clove = 1 tsp of minced garlic)
- 1 jar of organic marinara sauce
- 4 small organic vine tomatoes, diced
- 3 sweet chili peppers, chopped w/ seeds removed (I use Poblano and Mirasol)
- 3 teaspoons organic cumin
- 3 teaspoons organic chili powder
- 2 teaspoons organic thyme leaves
- 3 teaspoons Himalayan Sea Salt (the pink stuff; it has less sodium)
- 1 tsp white ground pepper
- 1 tsp ground red chipotle pepper
Simply sauté onions, shallots & garlic with coconut oil, on medium-high heat, until they are soft. Add the meat, chili powder, thyme, and cumin and brown, Next pour in marinara sauce, and add your tomatoes, peppers, salt and ground peppers. Simmer for at least an hour.